Monday, March 4, 2013

My Starter Anchoring Set


I wanted to get a starter set for anchoring before going to the class on Saturday so I went to REI to get some. My local REI has a very limited selection but it seems to have the basics. Assuming I want to anchor to a basic two bolt anchor, all I need is one runner and four carabiners: one on each bolt and two on the master point for redundancy.

This is what I picked up at REI:
2 18mm 120cm(48") Runners ($9 each)
1 7mm 30' Polyester Cordelette ($12.50)
4 Locking Carabiners ($8 each)

The instructor advised me to get a cordelette and an extra runner. I'm also thinking of picking up some webbing but maybe later on when I know what it's used for. I read that I could use two non-locking carabiners facing opposite directions for the master point but I saw on a post somewhere it's possible for the two carabiners to open each other so I just went for the safer router and got all locking since I don't know what I'm doing. They only had polyester cordellete at REI but nylon seems more common. I also bought a helmet and already had rope and an ATC from leading in the gym. Hopefully this is enough to create a basic top rope so I can do some outdoor climbing after the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment